In 1910 a number of Calgary business owners and the municipal government began a movement to establish a private university in Calgary. By October 1912, classes had begun in what was optimistically called the "University of Calgary". This architectural plan for the proposed site was drawn up by the noted Canadian landscape architect, Mr. Dunnington-Grubb. It is reminiscent of the European college quadrangle model and includes a stadium, gymnasium, armory, chapel, medical building and museum, in addition to buildings for agriculture, science, domestic science and law, the library, and faculty and student accommodation. Funding for the "university" came from donations of land and money from private citizens and members of the Board: the Secretary (W.J. Tregillis) donated 160 acres of land in the Rosscarrock subdivision on the Old Banff Coach Road; the Chair (T.H. Blow) donated $40,000 and the City set aside $150,000. The University applied in 1911, 1913 and 1915 to be given degree-granting powers but was turned down each time. Calgary College, as it became known as a result, closed in 1915 due to the collapse of the real estate boom, continuing squabbles with the province and the beginning of the First World War.

  

University of Calgary Archives

  « back