Composite photo of the three McDougall Churches and the Rev. George McDougall  ca. 1910
« click for larger image »


Composite photo of the three McDougall Churches and the
Rev. George McDougall ca. 1910, UC 148 / 1975.387/3296

Methodist history in Edmonton dates to the arrival of Rev. Robert Rundle in 1840. Though he had a small chapel in Fort Edmonton, he traveled widely to work with the native people of the west for eight years. Rev. Peter Campbell arrived in Edmonton in the 1860s but it wasn't until after the arrival of Rev. George McDougall and his wife Elizabeth that church construction was begun in 1872. A second building twenty years later helped to accommodate the growing congregation. In 1910, a large brick structure was completed and dedicated. The church was named in honour of George McDougall. The differences in the church structures reflect the growth of Edmonton in that time period from 1872-1910. The original building has since been moved to Fort Edmonton Park where it will be preserved to help tell the story of early missions in Alberta. In 1925, Methodists joined with other denominations to form The United Church of Canada and McDougall Church remains a United Church landmark in downtown Edmonton.

  

The United Church of Canada Alberta and Northwest Conference Archives

  « back