Olympic Plaza, now the major feature of this block, was designed as an urban park for year round use. Water is a main component in the visual presentation of the park. There are fountains and two cascading waterfalls in operation during the summer. In the winter, the central lagoon (1505 square meters) is transformed into a public skating rink. The Plaza is now a focal point for public entertainment, performing arts, restaurants and leisure activities.
The Olympic Plaza was designed by architects Gibbs Gage and Associates and constructed by W.A. Stephenson Construction. Officially opened on July 31, 1987, it was a major venue of the XV Olympic Winter Games where the presentation of medals took place each evening. The venue also featured nightly entertainment for those in attendance, which averaged 35,000 each night.
In this view (oco07.110.15.0314) the Dominion Bank Building is visible in the background. It currently houses restaurants and offices.