The Millet Burns Creamery was built in 1924 about one-half block north of the corner of 50th
Avenue and 52 Street in Millet, Alberta. In 1937 the creamery staff decided to develop a rock
garden to beautify the grounds. The area south of the creamery building to 50th Avenue was
cleared and levelled and rocks were put in place. Perennials donated by local residents were
planted and a fountain was built at the north end of the garden. Soon the garden was in full
bloom with peonies, irises and other beautiful flowers. The garden flourished for a number of
years until the onset of WWII, when staff members gradually quit to join the Canadian Armed
Forces, and interest in the garden eventually waned.
The present garden was recreated in 1998 by Bernice Knight, the Communities in Bloom
Committee, the Town of Millet and local volunteers. The Millet and District Historical Society
researched the information that is on a plaque now beside the re-creation of the garden, located
across from the Museum.
This photograph, taken in 1938, shows the staff of the Millet Burns Creamery who, as volunteers,
designed, created and maintained the rock garden adjacent to the creamery. The staff from left to
right are: Manager, Bill Corlett, Kathleen Hamilton, George Easterbrook, Bill Harrod, Jerry
Scott, George Rupert. Missing is Harry Scott.
more about the Millet and District Historical Society ...