The Grand Central Hotel Okotoks, [ca. 1913]
The Grand Central Hotel Okotoks, [ca. 1913]
Central Hotel dinner menu, Christmas 1909
Central Hotel dinner
menu, Christmas 1909
Central Hotel dinner menu, Christmas 1909
Central Hotel dinner
menu, Christmas 1909
The Grand Central Hotel was built in 1905 by Alex and Hugh Patterson. It used to stand on the corner of Elizabeth Street and Centre Avenue in Okotoks, and was three stories high with wide covered verandahs. There were forty-two rooms, including a large dining room, billiard room, bar, and sample rooms where traveling salesman displayed their goods. Hugh managed the business, and his wife, Eliza, and Alex's wife, Mina, kept the hotel and dining room in immaculate condition. Good meals could be enjoyed for about 25 cents, but the highlight was their special holiday dinners. In 1911, the Pattersons returned to farming, and the hotel changed hands several times. It fell into disrepair in 1928, and was torn down. Another hotel, the Willingdon, was built in its place.