<< Back to Archives Week 2001 - Extreme Archives
Archives Week 2001 October 1st - 6th   

Extremely Scary Dental Equipment

These dental instruments, according to the plaque, were "owned by Frederick Davis Shaw, a native of Kentville, N.S. who engaged in the NWMP in June 1880. A first-class dentist, having just finished his studies he took his dental equipment (a very fine outfit of extracting forceps and small instruments) along to the NWMP and used them regularly in relieving the men of offensive toothache. He was stationed both at Fort MacLeod and Fort Walsh."

This photograph is part of the research notes compiled by Dr. J. D. Hawkins, former academic staff member of the University of Alberta's Faculty of Dentistry, while updating A.E. Jamieson's 1948 publication History of Dentistry in Alberta.

Dr. J. D. Hawkins papers, University of Alberta Archives, Accession 84-11, Item 91

Dr. J. D. Hawkins papers, University of Alberta Archives, Accession 84-11, Item 91

University of Alberta Archives Contact Information
archives society of alberta