The Alberta Provincial Police (APP) was established in 1917 to replace the Royal North-West Mounted Police. The APP served the entire Province, with about 100 detachments located across Alberta from the Montana border to the Peace River country.
Its initial function was to enforce Provincial prohibition legislation, but it soon developed into a broader police force - including such unusual duties as inspecting theatres, enforcing the School Attendance Act, selling fur trapping licenses, and even settling labour disputes. The fiscal realities of the Depression eventually forced the disbandment of the APP in 1932. It was replaced by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
Drumheller Police motorcycle being used during labour disputes ca. 1923-24