Civil Defence Control Committee

City of Calgary, Corporate Records, Archives

The Civil Defence Control Committee

The Civil Defence Control Committee was established in 1958 and confirmed by City Council in 1959. "Their work is essentially advisory, but, at the same time, creates a situation wherein the Civil Defence Director can look to a group of men for leadership and advice regarding his various problems." The City of Calgary, Council Minutes, 1959, page 18. Committee members were kept in the loop of civil defence activities, as seen in this letter of 1963.

The Civil Defence Control Committee was renamed Emergency Measures in 1968. Council passed By-Law No. 7802 on 1970 January 26 authorising The City of Calgary to enter into an agreement with other municipalities to establish the Calgary Area Emergency Measures Organisation in order to create a more efficient and economical emergency measures and civil defence effort. The Calgary Area Emergency Measures Control Committee, to be known as the Control Committee, was responsible for the coordination of these efforts.

The Calgary Area Emergency Measures Organisation was comprised of The City of Calgary, The Municipal District of Foothills No. 31, The Municipal District of Rocky View No. 44, The Village of Airdrie, The Village of Beiseker, The Village of Cochrane, The Village of Crossfield, and The Village of Irricana. On 1975 March 24, the Calgary Area Emergency Measures Organisation was repealed by By-Law No. 26/75, the Disaster Services Bylaw, which established the Disaster Services Committee and the Calgary Disaster Services Agency.

« Click for full size image »